My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Currently I'm in my Junior year at Moody Bible Institute in downtown Chicago. I am finishing up my degree in Elementary Education. The program is pretty much the hardest elementary ed program you could imagine, but I love it a lot because it's the only place I know of that you can be a Bible and El Ed major at the same time. We work really hard to that end, but it is very cool to be some of the first people to learn an integrative philosophy of Christian education. I can't wait to start practicing all this; and the countdown is on, because in a little over a year I will be doing full time student teaching.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Intellectual Idol and Other Such Nonsense
Well, being in college, has me actually feeling rather intellectual these days. Although, I must admit that half of my classes still consist of coloring pictures... Anyways, I have been studying for a week straight. I have been doing work on an apologetic argument (if you are wondering what apologetics is, you should know that it is a class on the art of apologizing, which is an extremely necessary feat for any evangelical Christian) called "the argument from consciousness." I had to write this paper and give a presentation on it, and I havn't seen the light of day in a while. I am also learning about Einstein's general and special relativity in science, and I must say that it really blows my mind. I actually dreamed I was in a space ship watching the Doppler Effect and the dilapidation of time the other day. Yes, I know I have a problem.
Anyways, last night our floor threw an open house and we themed it around American Idol (with a twist); it was intellectual idol. We made our guests debate the following thesis: the practice of keeping animal pets is detrimental to society. Then, we judged them, and I was the "Simon character" if you know anything about American Idol.
You might be suprised to find out that the affirmative side won, and we did decide that the practice of keeping animal pets is detrimental to society. What do you think?
Here is a picture of us three judges:

8 Comments:

Blogger Auntie Eisel said...

I'm sorry you have to learn about the doppler effect and such. :) Thanks for the picture!

9:49 AM  
Blogger The Grandparents said...

I think you mean time "dilation" (the slowing of time due to gravity or space curvature), not time "dilapidation" (the slow crumbling of time until it falls to the ground in little pieces). You may need to practice your apologetics. Is studying apologetics supposed to make you more humble? If so, Aaron may need to repeat the course.
Sounds like you are learning some really interesting stuff. I kind of envy that. Not the studying, just the learning. Look forward to seeing you at Thanksgiving, and hearing more about these courses.
Love you,
G'dad

3:11 PM  
Blogger CrazyUncle said...

I think you mean time "depilation," which makes the study of time less hairy. No, now that I think about it, it could be "dilution" of time, which makes it seem less intense. OK, maybe not. I apologize apologetically.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Caleb said...

I know nothing about American Idol. I dol know that it strikes me strange that an Evangelical Christian needs to apologize. Oh well.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Brenda Walker said...

I would like to apologize for my brothers American Idiot comments. See, I am learned a little something about apologetics as well!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Auntie Eisel said...

I'M GONNA HAVE A NIECE!!!! :)

4:28 PM  
Blogger The Grandparents said...

COG says, yea, only two more weeks till you get home for Thanksgiving. We are having a good crowd this year, so I guess Christmas may be sorta smaller and quiet. I have counted 16, counting Paul's Kari, and I don't know for sure if she will be here or in Wickenburg. Can't wait for you to see our NEW family rooms... ours and your Mom's. Love you.

2:57 PM  
Blogger The Grandparents said...

Hi, Leigh! Just a week until you are here!!! Yea!!
Thought I would let you know that Neen is not doing well at all, and may not be with us much longer. Please pray for her and for us. We love you. COG

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home